Ridgegourd/ Peerkangai, isn’t a seasonal vegetable, you get it throughout the year. If you get ridgegourd you can do the flesh into curry and the skin peeled into chutney. It is not urgent that you need to do the chutney on the same day you can peel the skin put into a zip lock or a cover and seal it preserve it in the fridge for 2days and do it.
This chutney is a great combo with dosa and idlies. Let’s get into the recipe.
- Ridgegourd peel – One handful(I have used one ridgegourds skin)
- Green chillies – 2 to 3
- Mustard seed – One tsp
- Urad dal – One tbsp
- Ginger – One small pc
- Garlic – 2pods
- Tamarind – small amla size
- Shredded coconut – 1/2cup
- Garlic – 2 pods(with the skin just give it a press)
- Curry leaves – few
How to make :
1. Take a pan heat up, add oil splatter mustard seeds and urad dal. Fry until the dal becomes golden brown. Keep it aside with the oil.
2. Clean the skin thoroughly. Use the same pan to saute the veggies. Heat the pan add the skin, ginger, garlic, green chillies saute well until the skin becomes soft. Add the shredded coconut saute for a minute.
3. Transfer the sauted item to a plate let it cool down. Take them to the blender, add the tamarind and grind it well.
4. Now add the urad dal and mustard seeds to the mixture and grind it for few seconds. Dont grind it well. This method of grinding gives a awesome flavor to the dish.
5. Once done transfer to a bowl. Add the tempering and serve it with dosa or idlies.
Ridgegourd Chutney ready to serve.