Brinjal is one of the vegetarians favourite combo with any kind of main dish. Fries, masala, poriyal, chutney whatever is made with brinjal tastes awesome.
This recipe is my favourite and I learned it from my mom. This easiest, tastier kootu makes good combo with rice and dosa.
Here it goes!
- Brinjal – 250gms
- Channa dal – one cup
- Onion – One
- Tomato – One
- Turmeric powder – One tbsp
- Coriander Powder – One tbsp
- Chilly powder – One tbsp
- Shredded coconut – one cup
- Red chilly – 4 to 5
- Garlic pods – 2 to 3 finely chopped
- Mustard seeds – one tsp
- Urad dal – one tsp
- Curry leaves – few
How to make :
1. Clean and cut the brinjal, let it soak in water so that it will not turn brown. Wash the channa dal and soak in water for 30minutes.
2. Take a deep pan, heat up add oil. Splatter mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, red chilly,garlic and onions saute well.
3. Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder saute well.
4. Add channa dal saute for seconds, add brinjal,chilly powder and salt. Saute well.
5. Add two cups of water for dal and brinjal to cook well. Once the brinjal get cooked add shredded coconut and stir well. Check for salt.
Brinjal Channa Dal kootu ready. Serve it with any kind of rice, chappathi or Dosa.